Saturday, June 6, 2015

Ghosts of Industry -- Research into Lost Times and Places

I'm fascinated with old industries--have been ever since I grew up in, Export, PA, a former coal mining town, and went to college in Pittsburgh at a time when the steel mills were still going full blast and America still felt like the land of opportunity.

One of my favorite bars was called Franks. It was down by the J&L mill along the Monogahela River. It was a beautiful place--all dark hardwood interior with carved wood embellishments. The story was that it been built for the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 and the interior had been shipped to Pittsburgh afterwards to be Franks. I remember that at night, in front of the bar, the entire sky lit up with the glow from the mills. Also, draft Iron City cost 25 cents. A lost time and place.

Anyway, I'm now fascinated with the ghosts of industries--the old mills, the old cities, and my thoughts about the people, most of whom who are no longer living. They built those cities and mills and created the great American industries and the great American middle class.  This series of photos and stories is my homage to them.

I'm starting with Johnstown and Export. Look for updates as I make them.

For a teaser, here's a shot through a dirty window of the old Cambria Iron Works in Johnstown, where the steel industry was born. These are forges where they tested the steel.


2 comments:

  1. Gives me chills looking back at my home town and remembering my dad working on the rail road and mom working at Westinghouse and missing it so much

    ReplyDelete